Sunday, June 26, 2011

Camp Cameron keeps getting bigger!

In the past I have stated that Camp Cameron extended from what is now Mass. Ave. in Cambridge into Somerville to what is now Holland St. This is wrong. I should have realized this from the start. I let my knowledge of the current street map blind me. Andrew Bennett clearly states that the camp extended to the "Old Lexington Pike,  which crosses Winter Hill and thence over the ridge in Somerville to Arlington". (1) Holland street does not do this, Broadway does. It all clicked the other day when I found out that Holland St. was not created until 1870.
This source also confirmed a suspicion I have had for awhile. The local militia had used some of the property for musters before the war. It seems that the old militia muster field was 50 acres. (2)

(1) Story of the First Massachusetts Light Battery, Attached to the 6th Army Corp. , Andrew J. Bennett, 1886, Press of De Land & Barta, Boston, Ma
(2) beyond the Neck: The architecture and Development of somerville, Mass., Zellie, Carole, Office of Housing and Community Development, 1982, pg. 137

DAN SULLIVAN

No comments:

Post a Comment