Thursday, March 1, 2012

Possible photo of Camp Cameron

Over a decade ago this photo was found by other researchers. Sadly the member of that team who found this photo has passed away. The source of the photo has also been lost. The photo fits the descriptions of the camp I have found. Peaked buildings (From the distance this photo seems to have been taken I do not think those are tents) A road going up the middle, A big flag pole and a field in front. The flagstaff at Camp Cameron was 130 ft. tall. Newspaper articles pertaining to a fall two carpenters had off the roof of one of the barracks say they fell 25 ft. The flag pole in this photo is several times the hieght of the buildings. That would fit. I also know that it is early photography, it is distant and grainy. It could be any place. Most regiments from Camp Cameron spent some time around Washington and there was a Camp Cameron there also. It is possible that a book or article one one of the Cameron regiments contained a photo of "Camp Cameron" but not the correct Cameron. The images I have seen of that camp show tents and it was much bigger than this photo seems, but this could be only a small portion.  I have held this photo for over two years trying to find the source. I have not given up but I am offering it up for what it is, a very possible photo of Camp Camp Cameron. When I confirm this photo I will update here.

Dan Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment